NATURAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
Natural resource management is fundamentally about people. The success of natural resource management is ultimately determined by the level of community involvement and the adoption of ecologically sustainable practices across the community. Natural resources – land, water, forests – are essential to life on Earth. They also offer the promise of great wealth. Large-scale exploitation can have a devastating impact on some of the world’s poorest communities. Gender equality is core to attaining sustainable, just human development, and hence, key to securing natural resource justice.
A. Agro forestry and Reforestation:
- Promoting activities that make agriculture more resilient to climate change and providing mechanisms for carbon storage as a way to mitigate climate change.
- Increase resilience among small scale farmers under changing climatic conditions and increase the carbon sequestration capacity of degraded areas by promoting agroforestry practices and activities.
- Promote reforestation of degraded watershed areas to buffer extreme weather events and establish permanent forests as carbon sinks.
- Improve the social and economic welfare of small scale farmers through the promotion of forest based income generating activities.
B. Advocacy Project on the Sustainable Management of Lake Barombi-Mbo as the only source of Drinking Water for the Population of Kumba.
- To cause the Chief of Barombi-Mbo to ban the human activities in and around Lake Barombi-Mbo.
- To cause the Government Delegate of Kumba City Council to increase the budget allocation for tree planting around the Lake Barombi-Mbo area.
- To set a local participatory committee (public, private, CSO sector, ) for the protection and conservation of Lake Barombi-Mbo. All this has to be done in a year.
- To cause the Senior Divisional Officer (SDO) sign a prefectural order banning all human activities that are or may be detrimental to Lake Barombi-Mbo.
- Promote reforestation of degraded watershed area of Lake Barombi-Mbo to buffer extreme weather events and establish permanent forests as carbon sinks.
Lake Barombi Mbo, South West Region Cameroon
C. Supporting Reforestation and Agroforestry Practices in Cameroon
- This timely project promotes agriculture and forestry practices among small-scale farmers to increase income and food supply, while simultaneously improving the health of the environment, increasing the capacity of farmers to adapt to climate change and contributing to climate change mitigation.
- Additionally, the project promotes permanent reforestation within degraded watershed and forest areas, regulating water flows, providing local communities with access to valuable non-timber forest products, and generating permanent carbon sinks that mitigate climate change.
- In this vain, GlobalMinder –Cameroon will train 3,000 people in one year in reforestation and agroforestry practices, provide 120 kilograms of tree seeds to be distributed among farmers and natural resource management committees, and establish 50 tree nurseries.
Area To Be Reforested
D. Reforestation and Agroforestry: Promoting Rural Development
- To protect water catchments and regenerate the marginal degraded lands of Lebialem through agroforestry for rural development with the focus on sustainable agricultural soil improvement and environmental protection (addressing climate change mitigation).
E. Establishing a community-based tree seed orchard in Cameroon (past project)
- To facilitate the expansion of agroforestry practices in rural communities in Cameroon by reducing the dependence on foreign sources of seeds. The specific goal is to establish a tree seed orchard in Kumba, Southwest Region of Cameroon, to generate a constant supply of agroforestry seeds. The orchard will be managed exclusively to maximize the quality and quantity of seed production.
Community Health care:
Solutions cannot be learned from a textbook, they cannot be prescribed from the top down. Each situation is different, each is unique and each requires its own individual approach.We work with all sectors of society to build and nurture an environment which enables people to develop effective solutions to environmental and social concerns.Rather than imposing solutions, Globalaminder helps to develop people’s knowledge, skills and abilities in response to their needs.